Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A321neo first class vs 777-200-FC lie flat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak

I am booked on UA 1755 on June 8, the 777-200, with the lie-flat seats from ORD to SFO. I saw that some of the earlier flights are A321neos. The first-class seats on those flights are 221 dollars higher than the seats on 1755. Is the experience on the NEO that much better?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Passenger experience and comfort is only a secondary factor in airline pricing. Relative demand and supply, and United's expectations thereof, are far more important factors. The earlier A321neo flights are simply fuller and/or UA expects to sell more seats at higher fares on those flights.
SPN Lifer and AJNEDC like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Steve Weagant
I am booked on UA 1755 on June 8, the 777-200, with the lie-flat seats from ORD to SFO. I saw that some of the earlier flights are A321neos. The first-class seats on those flights are 221 dollars higher than the seats on 1755. Is the experience on the NEO that much better?
The pricing is not based on the product, it's based on the available inventory for each flight.

Personally I'd take the 772 with the lie flat, particularly at the lower price. The 321 is just a recliner seat.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you. That was what I was thinking. I will stick with 1755.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dkc192
Passenger experience and comfort is only a secondary factor in airline pricing.
Actually, in this case it is not a factor at all. It's all about inventory.
SPN Lifer and jsloan like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
And not just first class inventory, either. On most domestic routes, UA sets its prices to ensure that there is a minimum gap between economy and first class prices.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah but I have seen specific cases where lie flats are priced higher (due to more restrictive inventory) than recliners, controlling for load factors as best as I can by searching far out into the future on flights with empty cabins. Of course, this does not control for schedule, which is more important than seat comfort, but the latter could still be a small factor. It's impossible to know for sure as airlines don't schedule two flights on the same route at the same time, one with lie flats and the other with recliners.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
The pricing is not based on the product, it's based on the available inventory for each flight.

Personally I'd take the 772 with the lie flat, particularly at the lower price. The 321 is just a recliner seat.
Usually the 772 HD are flown on that route. I would only stick with the 772 if a seat on the sides were open. Otherwise given the relatively short flight, a seat on the A321 might be better than being stuck in the middle seat of the 4some center seats.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

I have seat 2L

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
The 772 HD is usually flown on that route. I would only stick with the 772 if a seat on the sides were open. Otherwise, given the relatively short flight, a seat on the A321 might be better than being stuck in the middle seat of the 4some center seats.
I have seat 2L on that 777. I think I came out a head on this one. The timing of 1775 is perfect for me, too. Depart at 4:23 p.m. and arrive at SFO at 7:00 p.m. I am staying at the SFO Grand Hyatt.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Yeah but I have seen specific cases where lie flats are priced higher (due to more restrictive inventory) than recliners, controlling for load factors as best as I can by searching far out into the future on flights with empty cabins. .
I've also seen what looks like that on Hawaii and premium t-cons, but it's not possible to tell whether that's purely a function of demand vs. UA being tighter with inventory on the better aircraft. In all events, the fares are the same, the different pricing is due to inventory.
cricketer, jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 9:54 am
Original Poster

I took a look at the A321 flights today. The earlier A321neo flight cost 12 dollars more to switch to FC, so I changed flights immediately. For the past week, I have been thinking about moving to an earlier flight because I just wanted to get out of town after a long school year. I have a window seat. I read the A321neo thread and reviews and was intrigued by flying on the newest plane in the fleet.
Old May 11, 2024, 9:47 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I have seat 2L on that 777. I think I came out a head on this one. The timing of 1775 is perfect for me, too. Depart at 4:23 p.m. and arrive at SFO at 7:00 p.m. I am staying at the SFO Grand Hyatt.
I took a look at the A321 flights today. The earlier A321neo flight cost 12 dollars more to switch to FC, so I changed flights immediately. For the past week, I have been thinking about moving to an earlier flight because I just wanted to get out of town after a long school year. I have a window seat. I read the A321neo thread and reviews and was intrigued by flying on the newest plane in the fleet.
You switched from a perfectly-timed wide-body with lie-flat seats to an A321 because you were intrigued by the newest plan in the fleet. Yes, you are an avgeek! 🙂
Old May 11, 2024, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA MP
We flew the A321neo SFO-ORD last night in 1A and 1B

Typical domestic 1st class seat, nothing special. In fact no cut out for the feet in the bulkhead so legroom not great in row 1

the galley light on the wall shines right into your eyes if you are in 1A
Old May 12, 2024, 6:15 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Im not a fan of the 321Ns the footwell area is cramped vs the other mainline aircraft with recliners in F.
Old May 12, 2024, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Avgeek. lol.

Originally Posted by wpcoe
You switched from a perfectly-timed wide-body with lie-flat seats to an A321 because you were intrigued by the newest plan in the fleet. Yes, you are an avgeek! 🙂

im becoming one. Im a big rail fan. But I enjoy travel by any mode. Except coach on an airplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.