Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Downgrade from jfk to lhr business to premium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold,honours diamond,spg Platinum,Marriott Platium

I had the following booking in business cash ticket
dub to lhr to Clt totampa return las -lax-lhr-agp approx cost £1300 per person
our jfk to lhr was cancelled and they put us on next flight in premium 2 hours later
we have received £102 pounds each into our bank account today for the downgrade
this sounds very low for the downgrade any suggestions
Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Have a look at the Mennens link in the wiki of the main EC261 thread.

Mennens governs the way this is calculated and it's a factor based on mileage, taxes and the fare. It's a bit complex, but the link gives some worked examples. To help with this you need to know what are taxes BA can still put against you despite being in WTP. You can either use the finnair email receipt, or possibly the e-mail receipt from BA / the link in the App for the receipt. The basis is 75% of the fare attributed to the downgraded sector, which is usually the base fare + carrier surcharge, then reduced pro-rata for the distance of the entire itinerary.

If that sounds complex, just provide the tax breakdown from Finnair / the e-ticket receipt and someone will get their side-rule out for you.
alexb1212 and Barrheadlass like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
All of the above assumes the JFK-LHR flight you were due to travel on was operated by BA. If it was operated by AA it's a lot more murky.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
On a relatively cheap ex-EU ticket with multiple flights, I guess the fare attributable to any single leg is quite low. Not like downgrading a £10k full fare ticket. I assume the algos they use to bump people from oversold flights take that into account.
SxMan likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
If you booked DUB-LHR-CLT/LAS-LAX-LHR-AGP, how did you have a JFK-LHR leg?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
Connection between LAX and LHR?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
If BA had offered a POUG from premium economy to business, it would have been maybe £550 for JFK-LHR, so £100+ seems a bit derogative here.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:37 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
We don’t know the circumstances or timing of the OPs flight, but I’d be very unlikely to accept a downgrade from CW to WTP on JFK - LHR given the frequency of flights. Would always push to be moved to the next flight, BA or AA, with space in J.

Admittedly there’s more to think about if you’re on one of the last evening departures or the day time flight.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xenole
If BA had offered a POUG from premium economy to business, it would have been maybe £550 for JFK-LHR, so £100+ seems a bit derogative here.
The price to upgrade isn't really relevant though. If it was a BA operated flight , then the reimbursement calculation is defined. Based on the distances of itinerary listed and price paid, would have thought that the amount due would be more like GBP260 to GBP280 , so GBP102 does seem very low
etiene likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by steveholt
I was wondering the same thing.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold,honours diamond,spg Platinum,Marriott Platium
It was a ba flight it got cancelled at lhr on way out I was due to take off after 11pm and they put us on a flight at 12.30 am
I missed out the lax to jfk by mistake
we did not get an email saying what they were giving us just appeared on our credit card statement as refund.
Old May 1, 2024, 12:22 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by alexb1212
It was a ba flight it got cancelled at lhr on way out I was due to take off after 11pm and they put us on a flight at 12.30 am
I missed out the lax to jfk by mistake
we did not get an email saying what they were giving us just appeared on our credit card statement as refund.
If it was a BA flight then the Mennens formula should apply. But looking up that fare on ITAMatrix shows the LAS-LHR fare being £431, but I presume you travelled LAS-LAX-JFK in business class as planned. ITAMatrix doesn't show the breakdown by leg, but I guess it's possible that your refund was 75% of the JFK-LHR fare.

I guess that you could ask BA for an explanation of the calculation.
Old May 1, 2024, 12:48 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
BA is completely blasé when it comes to comms about downgrading. I had a downgrade on a flight today

So it’s “we’ve had to” (which reads to me “we’re making our problem your problem”) and “had to change your cabin”. It’s never an upward change is it so tell me you’ve downgraded me.

Then they should say “if you accept this change, we will pay you £ xxx and you’ll keep your original miles and TPs as per your booking”

.. but they don’t say this. They wash their hands despite making you late AND downgrading your cabin.

Some passengers will just accept this as it seems too complicated to do anything about it.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no reason why original miles/TPs would be maintained after being reimbursed for the downgrade

BA does do involuntary upgrades and there is a whole thread for people to gloat about having received them
Old May 1, 2024, 2:40 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no reason why original miles/TPs would be maintained after being reimbursed for the downgrade

BA does do involuntary upgrades and there is a whole thread for people to gloat about having received them
Yes there is. It’s what I booked. The rest is a slap on the wrist for BA otherwise they get no sanction and can downgrade at will.
vulle, oceanscape and AJNEDC like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.