Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATH-JFK cancelled two days in a row, anyone knows what was that trainwreck about?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATH-JFK cancelled two days in a row, anyone knows what was that trainwreck about?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances

DL 203 ATH-JFK cancelled two days in a row, anyone knows what was that trainwreck about?

I was boarding a different flight when I heard the announcement and my heart sank for these unfortunate pax....The route is packed already every day, so I can imagine the mess these cancellations caused... and the EU 261 comps DL has to pay....

Interestingly, both incoming DL202 JFK-ATH flights made it on those days, one with a minor delay....

Last edited by nk15; Apr 30, 2024 at 8:43 am
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah not sure what happened here, but according to flightaware, the inbound equipment was DL240 BOS-ATH and made it both prior days.
DL202 JFK-ATH was also there as you mentioned... so I'm not sure what happened to two A333s on two consecutive days over there in ATH. DL only flies to ATH from BOS/JFK/ATL, and the BOS/JFK routes use the A333. As you said, thats got to be some very expensive cancellations and a lot of mad pax.

Could be unrelated, but I see the American ATH-JFK flight on Mon at the same time as the canceled DL was diverted to DUB and not due to depart there until tomorrow afternoon.
nk15 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Could be unrelated, but I see the American ATH-JFK flight on Mon at the same time as the canceled DL was diverted to DUB and not due to depart there until tomorrow afternoon.
Wow, Monday must have been tough for US bound pax...

The Sunday DL cancellation happened less than an hour before scheduled departure, so definitely a last minute thing....
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Looks like an extra service was added Monday Am, DL 9890, which flew as scheduled. An extra service was also added today.
nk15 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well guess it was either MX issues on both flights, or crew shortage issues on both flights.
nk15 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well guess it was either MX issues on both flights, or crew shortage issues on both flights.
These were my thoughts, too. There should be some cancellation notes on EF, but I am not currently subscribed...
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
EF only shows the flight cancelled but gives no reason why.
-RM
nk15 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
I know there is a transportation strike May 1 in Greece which is Labor Day there
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buckeye91
I know there is a transportation strike May 1 in Greece which is Labor Day there
The strike is for most public transport except planes, so I expect the one-day streak of DL on-time departures not to be interrupted...
Old Apr 30, 2024, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So, was this the same crew or equipment issue they couldn't resolve within 24 hours (thus affected two flights), or two separate issues, who knows...

If Delta is not releasing any cancellation info, I am gonna assume the obvious, that two different pilots showed up drunk, carrying a half empty bottle of Jagermeister
jrm68 likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Apr 30, 2024 at 8:45 pm
Old May 3, 2024, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by nk15
If Delta is not releasing any cancellation info, I am gonna assume the obvious, that two different pilots showed up drunk, carrying a half empty bottle of Jagermeister
Ouzo, you mean no doubt, since these are ATH originating flights!
hhdl and nk15 like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpezaris
Ouzo, you mean no doubt, since these are ATH originating flights!
I think we have to wait for the court rulings to become public or until someone breaks the Omerta, for the deets to become available...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.